The firm of Salmon, Son & Ritchie designed the Glasgow Deaf and Dumb Institution at Langside. Their Gothic-style building opened in 1868 as a boarding school with accommodation for 170 pupils. Facilities included a dining-room, classrooms, museum, sick-room, dormitories and library. A headmaster and eight teachers provided an eight-year course of elementary education.
In 1947 there was a change of use for the building when it became Langside College, a college of further education.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f 914.1435 STR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Keywords:
boarding schools, disabled children, further education colleges, Glasgow Deaf and Dumb Institution, Gothic, Langside College, physical disabilities, Salmon, Son & Ritchie, special needs schools